Hands-on course teaches stone milling
December 5, 2023
By Bakers Journal
Fargo, N.D. – The Northern Crops Institute will host an in-person course titled Stone Milling: A Hands-On Experience to provide training to enable participants to entirely run a stone mill.
Participants will receive hands-on training with the NCI stone mill, and be able to experiment with the flours they create in the bake labs. Participants who take this course will become proficient with stone milling, add value to products, and enjoy a Fargo adventure in February, the Institute said in a news release.
The course will cover these major topics:
- Grain production, nutrition, and quality parameters
- Stone mill design, machine, and maintenance
- Grain cleaning and preparation for milling (tempering)
- Stone milling operation, adjustment, safety, and application
- Flour quality evaluation and characterization
- Application of stone-milled flour
- Development of bakery products using stone-milled flour
It is designed for custom millers, producers thinking about adding value to what they grow, artisan bakers and staff, recent buyers of stone mills and anyone with an interest.
The course takes place Feb. 20-23, 2024 at the NCI in Fargo, N.D.
The registration fee is $2,000 US. The registration deadline is Jan. 15, 2024.
For more information, visit the Northern Crops Institute’s website.
Print this page