- Combine the apples and pears in a bowl with all of the ingredients. Mix very well to evenly coat the slices. Mix until mixture appears a little wet.
- Put apple mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Make the praline layer by combining the first three ingredients in a mixing bowl and using a pastry knife or clean hands mix until you achieve an even crumbly texture.
- Add the oats and pecans and mix throughout.
- Sprinkle a good handful of the praline mixture over the apple/pears in the pie.
- Make the caramel sauce (can be made ahead and stored in a jar). In a large sauce pan add the sugar, water and corn syrup and bring to a boil over high heat. Whisk until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Allow for mixture to boil for 10 minutes or until it turns a beautiful caramel colour. To prevent crystallization try to keep the sauce from going up the sides of the pan.
- Once the sauce is a rich caramel colour reduce heat to low. Slowly add the cream. Stir and add the vanilla and salt.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy. It will bubble up . Sauce will thicken as it cooks (1-2 minutes).
- Allow sauce to cool to room temp and then pour 1/4-cup over the praline layer.
- Take the full top crust and gently place over the pie. Seal the edges by pinching and finishing .
- Evenly and completely egg wash the entire top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and a little sprinkle of the praline mixture. Pierce with several one-inch vent holes.
- Bake at 350 F until juices thickly begin to bubble out the vent holes. Approximately 45-60 mins. Deep dish pie plates or ceramic/glad plates will require slightly longer cooking times.
- Cool completely and enjoy!
Apple Pear Caramel Praline Pie
Yield: 1 pie
Combining the best of the fall harvest fruits with pure sweetness and a bit of crunch, this recipe comes to us courtesy of Jenell Parsons of The Pie Hole in Vancouver.
Granny apples (peeled & thinly sliced) - 3
Gala apples (peeled & thinly sliced) - 2
Bartlett Pears (Peeled & thinly sliced) - 2
Unbleached flour - 3 tbsp
Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg - pinch
Salt - pinch
Butter (cubed) - 1/4 cup
Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
Unbleached flour - 1/2 cup
Rolled oats - 1/3
Pecans, coarse chop - 1/4 cup
White sugar - 1 cup
Water - 1/4 cup
White corn syrup - 1 tsp
Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
Vanilla - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp