1. Mix using short mix method. Mix all ingredients for three minutes on first speed and three minutes on second. Refrigerate dough overnight.
2. Remove from cooler and degas, and shape into a rectangular dough. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
3. Laminate dough with roll in 470 g butter and give three half turns. Sheet out dough and spread a layer of filling on dough, then fold in half. Cut out strips and do a five-strand braid. Place in rectangular moulds. Proof at room temperature and then egg wash.
4. Bake at 177 C (350 F) for 18 minutes.
5. Remove from moulds, glaze and garnish with toasted hazelnuts and pistachios.
Alan Dumonceaux is a coach with Baking Team Canadam chair of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) baking program and co-ordinator for customized training and continuing education for NAIT’s School of Hospitality. Dumonceaux developed this recipe for the Louis Lesaffre Cup competition in Las Vegas.