By Joanna Schultz
Lemon Meringue Pie
By Joanna Schultz
For a light summer treat, tart but sweet, lemon meringue always fits the bill. This recipe comes from 2016 Jake the Baker award winner Joanna Schultz of Pikanik in White Rock, BC.
yield: 1 pie shell (or 10 mini tart shells)
- All purpose flour blend – 350 g
- Sweet rice flour – 125 g
- Margarine – 210 g
- Xanthan gum – 4 g
- Salt – 6 g
- Sugar – 10 g
- Ice cold water – 1/2 cup
- Mix dry ingredients in small mixing bowl.
- Add chunks of margarine and cut in with paddle until a loose crumbly texture.
- Add cold water just until dough comes together. May not need all the water so use caution to add slowly.
- Roll dough between sheets of plastic film until it is about 0.5 cm thick, or refrigerate for later use. If refrigerated, bring to room temperature to roll.
- Peel off top piece of plastic film. Pick up dough sheet, placing hand underneath the bottom sheet of plastic film. Flip and lay it over a pie pan, dough side down. Press evenly into the pan, allowing any air bubbles to escape from the sides. Peel off remaining plastic film carefully.
- Trim any dough that is hanging over the edges of the pie pan. Press the edges of the dough firmly onto the corner/edge of pan.
- Chill dough in the pan for minimum one hour, or up to overnight. (Cover with wrap if refrigerating overnight.)
- Remove from the fridge, lay a piece of parchment paper in the centre of the pie. Use dried beans or pie weights over the parchment to weigh down the crust.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown, or, fill with your filling (omitting the pie weights/beans) and bake until desired doneness is achieved.
- Sugar – 200 g
- Tapioca flour – 2 tbsp
- Cornstarch – 3 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1-1/2 cups
- Large lemons – 2, zested and juiced
- Egg yolks – 1/2 cup
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, starches, salt.
- Stir in cold water, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Whisk over medium heat until it just begins to boil.
- Temper egg yolks with hot lemon mixture. Cook over medium heat, constantly stirring until thick.
- Remove from heat and portion filling into prepared shell(s).
- Egg whites – 4
- Sugar – 6 tbsp
- Cream of tartar – 1/4 tbsp
- Whisk egg whites in stand mixer fitted with a wire whip attachment. Whip until eggs start to foam.
- Mix cream of tartar into the sugar, and add gradually. Continue to whip the whites until stiff peaks form.
- Spread or pipe the meringue over hot lemon filling. Make sure to seal the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven until slightly brown.