Bakers Formula: January-February 2017
TACKLING BABY FAT
February 1, 2017 By Edmund Rek
This earthy take on the traditional French madeleine was part of the Wild Blueberry Festival held at the Evergreen Brick Works farmers’ market in Toronto. The recipe uses heritage einkorn wheat and comes to us courtesy of both Edmund Rek of Evelyn’s Crackers—a regular at the Brick Works—and the Wild Blueberry Association of North America (www.wildblueberries.com).
- wholegrain einkorn flour – 270g
- baking powder – 12g
- salt – 2g
- large eggs – 6
- organic cane sugar – 160g
- unsalted butter – 266g
- brown sugar – 36g
- honey – 36g
- wild blueberries – 1 cup
Yield 24 madeleines
- Melt in small pot over low heat and remove: butter, brown sugar and honey.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Measure out sugar and set aside.
- In mixer, whisk the eggs until double in volume. Slowly add sugar and whisk on high speed until very thick and tripled in volume.
- Gently fold in dry ingredients.
- Once incorporated, fold in melted butter.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Fill madeleine moulds with 1 tablespoon of filling. Top with seven to 10 wild blueberries.
- Bake at 375 F for 12 to 15 minutes in silicone madeleine moulds. Rotate halfway through for even baking.
Print this page
Stories continue below
Leave a Reply