BAC Press releases
Business and Operations
Joint Canada-U.S. council promotes skilled trades
August 30, 2023 By Bakers Journal
Philadelphia – Integrated facilities management company NEST has teamed up with leaders in the retail, construction and skilled trades industries to create a joint Canada-U.S. Skilled Trades Advisory Council (STAC), which aims to combat the crisis facing skilled labour in both countries.
The council’s founding advisors will leverage their resources, knowledge and network to elevate the skilled trades as essential, high-paying, honourable, and often heroic career paths.
Founding STAC advisors include:
- Rob Almond, CEO of NEST
- Sara Angus, Director of Construction, Starbucks
- Julie Starzynski, Director of Construction & Design, Floor & Decor
- Andrew Brown, Founder and CEO of Toolfetch
- Sarah Hammond, Owner and President of Atlas and Treasurer of Women in HVAC
- Kam Washington, Owner of PMA Construction
- Kate Cinnamo, Executive Director of Explore the Trades
- Mónica Muñoz, Senior Director of Capital Programs at DaVita Kidney Care
- Mary Gaffney, President of NAWIC Philadelphia Foundation and GEM Mechanical Services
“I’m encouraged that so many others share my passion for growing the trades and ending the stigma that surrounds jobs in the industry,” said Almond, who spearheaded the initiative. “STAC is a way for many of us to work together and find ways to encourage youth to consider a career in the skilled trades. There are many viable, lucrative, and creative opportunities to explore. The U.S. and Canadian workforces are struggling to fill a massive gap in the skilled trades, and we need to unite as an industry to reverse the trend.”
For more information, visit the Skilled Trades Advisory Council’s LinkedIn page.
Print this page
- Double-chocolate ‘pink’ cookies support breast cancer awareness
- Unifiller collaborates with Unique Sweets Bakery, which hires employees with autism