Dec. 8, 2014 — Bonjour Bakery in Edmonton is the winner of Bakers Journal’s 2014 Business Innovation Award. The bakery is owned and operated by Yvan Chartrand, 54, and as the winner, he receives a $500 prize and a plaque to hang in his bakery. Jelly Modern Donuts, with locations in Toronto and Calgary, is our runner-up.
Chartrand runs Bonjour Bakery with help from his wife, Ritsuko; their 28-year-old son Kenny; and two part-time employees. They purchased the business, then known as Tree Stone Bakery, in 2010, taking over from longtime owner/operator Nancy Rubuliak, who ran the bakery for more than a decade.
Bonjour Bakery beat out 11 other Canadian bakeries for the magazine’s Business Innovation Award, which evaluates nominees using 10 questions as criteria. We asked each competitor if they had:
- introduced a new product or product line?
- implemented a social media strategy?
- launched a new marketing campaign?
- offer specialty products/something unique to their brand?
- been recognized with an award or distinction?
- changed operations?
- incorporated trends into their product offerings?
- held new events or special promotions?
- revamped current specialties to meet new demands?
- used new technologies or processes?
As the winner for 2014, Bonjour Bakery also receives a cover story in the January/February 2015 issue of the magazine.
Print this page