McCormick releases 2009 flavour forecast
By PR Newswire
By PR Newswire
Dec. 3, 2008, HUNT VALLEY, Md. – An appetite for internationally infused tastes, a desire for all-natural foods and a craving for favourite ingredients reimagined with contemporary whimsy are a few of the influences behind the McCormick Flavour Forecast 2009.
The report, released today, takes an in-depth look at 10 emerging flavour duos poised to transform North America's menus in the coming year.
"Our passion for flavor is the inspiration behind the Flavor Forecast," said Kevan Vetter, Executive Chef at McCormick. "Whether it's a mix of culturally diverse tastes – like smoked paprika and agave nectar – or a discovery of pure ingredients – like mint and quinoa – this year, we see excitement in the blending of the new and the familiar."
McCormick Flavour Forecast 2009 top 10 flavour pairings:
1. Toasted Sesame and Root Beer: An iconic soda is rediscovered for its versatility as a cooking ingredient, paired with the bold nuttiness of toasted sesame seed.
2. Cayenne and Tart Cherry: The flavours of two superfoods – the heat of cayenne and sweet-sour tang of tart cherry – pack a multi-layered punch.
3. Tarragon and Beetroot: The hip pair creates a sensory feast that is anything other than predictable or restrained.
4. Peppercorn Melange and Sake: Japan's notable rice wine finds a new partner in the quintessentially French unison of multicolored peppercorns.
5. Chinese Five Spice and Artisan-cured Pork: Hand crafted artistry merges with a harmonious Asian blend to create an innovative taste sensation.
6. Dill and Avocado Oil: Mild avocado oil finds an elegant partner in clean, minty dill – reflecting the healthy goodness that comes from pure, natural ingredients.
7. Rosemary and Fruit Preserves: Fresh-picked fruit flavours fuse with aromatic rosemary for a progressive interpretation of sweet and savory.
8. Garam Masala and Pepitas: A beautifully matched global combination of an intoxicating spice blend from India and a prized seed popular in Latin America.
9. Mint and Quinoa: Nutritious, whole-grain quinoa is taken to new heights when paired with the exhilarating, cool taste of mint.
10. Smoked Paprika and Agave Nectar: Smoky sweetness from the purity of nature celebrates a union of Spanish and Mexican ingredients.
For nearly a decade, McCormick has driven cutting-edge flavours through an annual trend forecast. McCormick draws on the expertise of sensory analysts, chefs, trend experts and food technologists. Joined by some of today's most innovative and cutting-edge restaurant chefs, cookbook authors and TV food personalities, this collective culinary vision helps chart a delicious course for the year ahead.