Dark rye flour
Dehydrated rye sour
Yield: 38 to 40 loaves
1. Prepare sponge dough (starter) at least 18 hours prior to final dough stage.
2. Scale and add all ingredients into a mixing bowl except for the raisins and walnuts; mix for five minutes on low speed, six minutes on fast.
3. Add walnuts and raisins; mix on slow speed until they are well incorporated. (Change the direction of your mix if you have this option, it will mix the product more thoroughly).
4. Let the final dough sit on the table to bulk ferment, approximately 30-40 minutes, depending on temperature.
5. Scale the dough to desirable weight (about 535g), then round and let rest for another 10-20 minutes.
6. Mould to desired shape.
7. Final proof for 35-45 minutes.
8. Dust with flour if desired and score the bread as desired.
9. Bake at 210 C for 35-40 minutes with steam.
Jae Park of Bread ‘N’ Buns Factory in Port Coquitlam, B.C., created this bread for the California Walnut Inspirations Contest, eventually taking home the $10,000 grande prize for it (along with $1,000 for placing first in the breads category). It can be made into cocktail rolls, toasted for breakfast or enjoyed along with a variety of cheeses.