Yield: Two baking trays
1. Cream butter and icing
2. Add egg and mix well
3. Add egg white to rose water and beat slightly, then add to mixture
4. Add flour and cardamom and mix well.
5. Using #10 round tip, pipe cookies onto baking tray (in quarter-sized circles).
6. Stamp each cookie with a stamp design of your choice.
8. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
9. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes.
The recipe for these Iranian treats comes courtest of the Shirini Sara Pastry House in Toronto, where the owner set up shop in 1991 after leaving their home in Iran and the original Shirini Sara Pastry House, where it was common for the bakery to run out of baked goods not long after opening each morning. These cookies are a big part of how Iranians celebrate Naw Ruz, the Persian New Year: they’re meant to “sweeten” the year to come.