Mini stacked and drip cakes popular says IDDBA report
January 23, 2018 By Bakers Journal
Madison, WI – Magic and fantasy cakes, drip cakes and those with contrasting themes are among popular cake styles, according to the International Dairy Deli Bakery Association’s annual industry report.
The report, entitled “What’s In Store 2018,” includes five trends as identified by John Gardner, director of customer marketing at DecoPac:
- Opposites attract: Contrasting themes that result in unique designs, especially in multi-tiered cakes, are gaining in popularity. The concept involves using opposing colours, textures and formats in combination.
- Drip cakes: Cakes that feature the appearance of melted liquid icing running down the side of the cake are popular.
- Magic and fantasy cakes: Unicorn and mermaid cakes featuring bright colours are a focal point in bakeries.
- Pineapple-themed cakes: Often infused with pineapple flavour and topped with whimsical decorations, these are part of an emerging tropical trend.
- Mini stacked cakes: Mini-stacked cakes designed for a weeknight indulgence or main feature at a birthday party. Smaller versions of multi-tiered cakes for special occasions also are in demand.
- Back to nature: Geode, wood grain and metallic styles have grown from interest in artisan craftsmanship and getting back to nature.
Gardner also emphasized the necessity of providing shoppers with personalization options for cake format, chosen colours, favourite flavours, a special message or a photo collage.
The IDDBA report outlines economic trends, eating trends, as well as sales and retail trends in bakery, cheese, dairy and deli.
Print this page