Hazelnut Baklava with Pear Filling:
Cream cheese, softened -1816 g
Anjou pears, peeled, cored and cubed -1244 g
Honey - 420 g
Eggs - 392 g
Lemon peel, grated - 21 g
Hazelnuts, skin removed, toasted, finely chopped - 818 g
Cranberries, sweetened, dried, chopped - 678 g
Sugar - 594 g
Cinnamon - 28 g
Cloves, ground - 7 g
Phyllo pastry, defrosted - 908 g
Butter, melted - 454 g
1. Beat cream cheese and pears with whip on high speed until smooth; scrape bowl.
2 Add honey, eggs, and lemon peel; mix on low speed until blended, then scrape bowl and set aside.
3. Stir hazelnuts, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in separate large bowl until blended; set aside.
4. Place one phyllo layer over bottom of buttered 4-inch deep full
pan or 16x24-inch sheet pan with extenders; brush with butter.
5. Add nine more layers of phyllo, brushing each with butter.
6. Pour half of the cream cheese mixture over phyllo.
7. Reserve a small portion of spice mixture to sprinkle over top of baklava, then divide remaining spice mixture in half; sprinkle half of mixture over cream cheese layer.
8. Place seven layers of phyllo over spice mixture, brushing each layer with butter.
9. Spread remaining cream cheese mixture, sprinkle with other half
of spice mixture then cover with seven layers of phyllo (brushing each
layer with butter).
10. Sprinkle remaining spice mixture over buttered top.
11. Bake at 300 F for 45 to 60 minutes until golden brown and centre is set. Cool and refrigerate.
Yield: 96, 2-inch bars
Cranberry Whole Wheat Muffins:
All-purpose flour - 2550 g
Whole wheat flour - 908 g
Sugar - 1586 g
Orange peel, dried - 56 g
Ginger, ground - 21 g
Baking soda - 28 g
Salt - 28 g
Milk, whole - 2856 g
Butter, melted - 908 g
Eggs - 510 g
Cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed), drained and sliced - 1418 g
Sugar - 393 g
1. Place flours, sugar, orange peel, ginger, baking soda and salt in mixed bowl.
2. Mix with paddle on low speed until blended.
3 Blend milk, butter and eggs in separate bowl, then pour into flour mixture.
4 Mix on low speed 30 to 60 seconds until just blended; do not overmix.
5. Stir cranberries into batter until blended.
6. Portion with #8 scoop into prepared jumbo muffin cups.
7. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
8. Bake at 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Yield: Approximately 7 dozen, 112 g muffins
Source: The Cranberry Marketing Committee, www.uscranberries.com
Spicy formulas that feature the combined tartness and sweetness of this festive berry
Faema and Aurora Importing collaborate for Italian Heritage MonthLorenzo Di Donato, vice-president, marketing strategist and business developer for…
CFIA confiscated over 12K adulterated honeyThe Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food announced…
IBIE 2019 offers more education, more exhibitsThis year’s IBIEducate is offering more than 100 seminars and…
The "tart" of a good food festivalFor many small bakeries, competing with grocery stores or large-scale…
BAC Atlantic Chapter Annual Golf TournamentTue Sep 17, 2019 @11:00am
BAC Ontario Chapter Night at the RacesWed Sep 25, 2019 @ 6:00pm
BAC BC Chapter Fall Baking Workshop: "Quest for All Things Sourdough"Wed Oct 23, 2019 @ 2:00pm
BAC Ontario Chapter Annual Holiday SocialFri Nov 29, 2019