September 13, 2022 By Joe Calabro, Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana
This is the Basic Recipe for biscotti by Joe Calabria, pastry chef and co-owner of Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana, known as PGI, in Ottawa. You may customize by adding the nuts or dried fruit or chocolate that you prefer.
115 g 1½ cups butter
150 g ¾ cups sugar
325 g (2 cups) flour
1-½tsps baking powder
100 g (2/3 cup) pistachios and dried cranberries
100 g (2/3 cup) espresso, ground, and white chocolate chips
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, mix well.
3. Add flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla to the mixture.
4. Mix just until blended.
5. Add nuts and cranberries.
6. Mix well until blended.
7. Divide the dough and shape into logs.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 163-177 C (325-350 F).
9. Allow the biscotti logs to cool.
10. Slice the biscotti logs on the diagonal into ½-inch slices.
11. Place the slices back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
Joe Calabro is pastry chef and co-owner of Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana (PGI), a family-owned Italian bakery and gelato shop in Ottawa’s Little Italy that has been in business since 1979.
Print this page