Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread (sub loaves)
This will make four sub-size loafs or you can halve it and make two regular loaves of bread. Great served with pasta dishes.
1 1/2 cups warm water (100 - 110 F/ 38 – 43 C)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tbsp cornmeal
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, or any type of hard cheese
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the water and yeast and allow to sit for 10 minutes to dissolve. Add the sugar, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and flour; attach the dough hook and knead for 10 minutes on low to medium speed.
2. Turn the dough out onto your work surface and cut the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each one into a cube and roll out into a 4"x 5" rectangle. Starting with the long edge, roll each piece of dough jelly-roll style and pinch the seam to seal, including the ends that will need to be slightly folded under.
3. Place each log of dough seam-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal; there should be at least 4 inches between each log of dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for 40 minutes in a warm place (the dough should double in size).
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (191 C) and place a rack in the lowest part of the oven. Fill a baking pan with 4 cups of water and place on the bottom (lowest) rack.
5. Uncover the dough, brush with melted butter, use a knife to cut shallow slices in the tops of each one and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano. Bake in the middle rack (over the water-filled pan) for 20-25 minutes, until the bread is golden brown. Transfer the bread to a metal rack to cool.
Food industry forced to make tough choicesFood service is up by 6.4 per cent compared to…
Clean(er) label fruit fillingPuratos Canada, the Canadian arm of global Belgium-based brand Puratos…
3 Cities in battle for "Best Bagel"It all began with the simple, but controversial question: Which…
Hometown Food Company buys Smucker and PillsburyBrynwood Partners VII L.P. and Brynwood Partners VIII L.P. signed…
Bakery Showcase Montréal 2019
May 5-6, 2019