Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread (sub loaves)
This will make four sub-size loafs or you can halve it and make two regular loaves of bread. Great served with pasta dishes.
1 1/2 cups warm water (100 - 110 F/ 38 – 43 C)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tbsp cornmeal
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, or any type of hard cheese
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the water and yeast and allow to sit for 10 minutes to dissolve. Add the sugar, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and flour; attach the dough hook and knead for 10 minutes on low to medium speed.
2. Turn the dough out onto your work surface and cut the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each one into a cube and roll out into a 4"x 5" rectangle. Starting with the long edge, roll each piece of dough jelly-roll style and pinch the seam to seal, including the ends that will need to be slightly folded under.
3. Place each log of dough seam-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal; there should be at least 4 inches between each log of dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for 40 minutes in a warm place (the dough should double in size).
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (191 C) and place a rack in the lowest part of the oven. Fill a baking pan with 4 cups of water and place on the bottom (lowest) rack.
5. Uncover the dough, brush with melted butter, use a knife to cut shallow slices in the tops of each one and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano. Bake in the middle rack (over the water-filled pan) for 20-25 minutes, until the bread is golden brown. Transfer the bread to a metal rack to cool.
Faema and Aurora Importing collaborate for Italian Heritage MonthLorenzo Di Donato, vice-president, marketing strategist and business developer for…
IBIE 2019 offers more education, more exhibitsThis year’s IBIEducate is offering more than 100 seminars and…
The "tart" of a good food festivalFor many small bakeries, competing with grocery stores or large-scale…
The Color House buys DuPont Natural ColorsDDW, The Color House, announced that on June 28, 2019…
BAC Atlantic Chapter Annual Golf TournamentTue Sep 17, 2019 @11:00am
BAC Ontario Chapter Night at the RacesWed Sep 25, 2019 @ 6:00pm
BAC Ontario Chapter Annual Holiday SocialFri Nov 29, 2019