Bimbo Bakeries USA wins environmental award
April 12, 2019 By Bakers Journal
Bimbo Bakeries USA is proud to announce that it has received the 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in recognition of its commitment to energy management in the baking industry.
The company’s accomplishments were recognized by the EPA and the U.S. Department of Energy at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. on April 11, 2019.
“Sustainability is built into our company’s purpose – building a sustainable, highly productive and deeply humane company,” said Ramon Rivera, Senior Vice President, Supply Chain, Bimbo Bakeries USA in a press release. “We are honoured to be named an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for the second year in a row and are incredibly proud that our efforts have again been recognized by the EPA.”
“I applaud the 2019 ENERGY STAR Award Winners,” said EPA Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation Bill Wehrum. “Their innovation and leadership enhance America’s economic competitiveness. Reducing costly energy waste improves air quality and public health while protecting the environment.”
Key accomplishments of Bimbo Bakeries USA in 2018 include:
· Earned ENERGY STAR certification for superior energy efficiency at 14 facilities across the country.
· Grupo Bimbo joined RE100 and committed to using 100 percent renewable energy for its electricity across all countries where it operates by 2025.
· Entered into a VPPA with Invenergy to develop a wind farm to produce the equivalent of 100 percent of the company’s electrical energy. The renewable energy wind farm is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2019.
· Installed a 1MW solar array at its Escondido, California bakery, which produces up to 30 percent of the electrical energy from the bakery.
· Upgraded facility lighting to LED to reduce lighting electrical consumption by more than 50 percent.
The ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award recognizes ENERGY STAR partner businesses and organizations in good standing that demonstrate superior leadership, innovation and commitment to environmental protection through energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR.
For a complete list of 2019 winners and more information about ENERGY STAR’s awards program, visit energystar.gov/awardwinners.
Print this page