February 12, 2019 By Chef Leigh Omilinsky
Chicago’s famous spelt flour croissants
x2 – x2.5 – x3 Ingredients
532g – 665g – 798g – bread flour
3g – 3.75g -4.5g -yeast
520g – 650g -780g – 80 F degree water
693g – 868g -1041g -Bread flour
630 – 788g -945g – 80 F degree water
140g -175g -210g -Sourdough starter
600g -750g -900g -Spelt Flour
600g -750g -900g -Bread Flour
1397g -1750g 2 -100g -Milk- bring to a full boil
Mix everything again by hand to combine.
1546g -1933g -2319g – Bread Flour
210g -263g – 315g – Sugar
126g -158g – 189g -Salt
23g – 30g – 36g -Yeast
- Make the Poolish, levain and sour a minimum of 12 hours ahead of time.
- Combine all of the pre-ferments and the rest of the ingredients in the 20 QT mixer with the dough hook.
- Mix on speed 1 until it combines. It should form one ball and be slightly shiny. Do not over-mix this.
X1= 1000 g roll in butter
Do 3-single folds and let them rest for a few hours.
Set your dough sheeter to #5.
Plain croissants are 10.6 cm x 27.9 cm as well as ham and cheese-filled ones.
Chocolate croissants are 8.5 cm x 11 cm.
- This dough proofs for over three hours. It may seem excessive, but the grains need a longer proofing time than pastry flour.
- Bake at 400 F for 8 minutes, rotate and bake for 10 more minutes.
Print this page