Cherry fig brownies
October 25, 2017 By Raelene Gannon
These brownies were inspired from her chocolate bar that is infused with cherry fig black tea, as well as the chai brownie recipe in Raelene Gannon’s book tea from cup to plate, which was published in 2015.
A certified tea sommelier, one of the first 15 in Canada, Gannon is truly an expert in all things tea, including countries of origin, ceremonies, manufacturing and in particular, tea menus, food pairings and recipe development.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: 12 – 16 brownies (depending on how large you slice them!)
- Tea concentrate (tea concentrate can replace vanilla)
- 2 tbsp cherry fig black tea
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Steep for 5 minutes. You will have about 2/3 cup tea concentrate. You will need this for both the brownies and the ganache
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (185 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (160 mL) brown sugar (feel free to sub in coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup (185 mL) AP flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cherries
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dark chocolate
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) tea concentrate (above)
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) 18% half and half or 35% cream
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C) degrees. grease an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan.
- Infuse cherry fig black tea in water (full boil) for 5 mins. Once steeped, strain and discard tea leaves, this gives you the tea concentrate. Cool and reserve 3 tbsp (45 mL) tea concentrate for the brownies and 3 tbsp (45 mL) for the ganache.
- Put the butter and cocoa powder in a large microwave proof bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir well. Mix in the 3 tbsp (45 mL) tea concentrate.
- Mix the eggs in a small bowl and beat for a full 2 minutes (this makes a fluffy, crackly top and fudgy texture to the brownies). Stir the eggs into the cocoa mixture and add both sugars and beat until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour, salt and dried cherries and mix until all are fully incorporated.
- Spread the mixture into an 8×8-inch greased pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, and allow to cool before cutting.
- While the brownies are baking, make the ganache by melting the chocolate in a microwave or stove top. Add the tea concentrate, cream and sugar and stir to blend thoroughly, cool in fridge to thicken.
Cut brownies into 12-16 squares, or try other shapes like triangles.
To up your game, add a piece of cherry fig dark chocolate (like in the picture) for an extra special presentation.
Print this page