Bakers Formula: August-September 2015
August 14, 2015 By PreGel International Training Centre
Leftover bread? Try this comforting gourmet pudding dessert combining the old favourite flavours of rum, raisins and cinnamon from PreGel Canada. Top it with zabajone whipped cream to give it a sophisticated touch. The Zabajone Bread Pudding is a tried and tested recipe from PreGel Canada’s kitchen, perfect for an early fall, cozy feeling.
Zabajone Bread Pudding
GRAMS OUNCES INGREDIENT
85 g 3.0 oz dark raisins
120 g 4.2 oz dark rum
255 g 9.0 oz bread, cubed and toasted
85 g 3.0 oz butter, melted
960 g 33.9 oz whole milk
170 g 6.0 oz sugar
340 g 12.0 oz whole eggs, beaten
64 g 2.3 oz egg yolks, beaten
2.4 g 0.8 oz PreGel Cinnamon Traditional Paste
20 g 0.70 oz PreGel Zabajone Vittoria Traditional Paste
1 g 0.03 oz cinnamon, ground
2.5 g 0.9 oz salt
- Place the raisins in a bowl and add the rum. Set aside to plump for 20 minutes, then drain.
- Cut the bread into half-inch cubes. Place on a sheet pan and drizzle with the melted butter. Toast in a 350°F/177°C oven, stirring once or twice, until golden brown.
- Combine the milk and 3 oz/85 g of the sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile blend the eggs, egg yolks and the remaining 3 oz/85 g sugar to make the liaison. Temper by gradually adding about one-third of the hot milk, whipping constantly. Add the remaining hot milk and strain the custard into a bowl.
- Add the bread, PreGel Cinnamon Traditional Paste, PreGel Zabajone Vittoria Traditional Paste, cinnamon, salt and drained raisins to the custard. Soak over an ice bath for at least 1 hour to allow the bread to absorb the custard. Lightly brush the service vessel with softened butter.
- Ladle the mixture into the prepared ramekins, filling them three-quarters full. Bake in a water bath at 350°F/177°C until just set, 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the custards from the water bath and wipe the service vessel dry. Refrigerate until fully chilled.
Zabajone Whipped Cream Ingredients
GRAMS OUNCES INGREDIENT
300 g 10.6 oz PreGel Happy Tort (neutral frozen mousse base)
1000 g 35.3 oz heavy cream
130 g 4.6 oz PreGel PreGel Zabajone Vittoria Traditional Paste
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Whip to desired peaks.
- Using a quenelle spoon, quenelle a small amount of the Zabajone Whipped Cream on top of the chilled bread pudding.
Print this page
Leave a Reply